Army chief Mahesh Senanayake denies any wrongdoing by his men

  • Fri,17 May 2019 12:03:28 PM

British Asia News Network- AD

Colombo, May 17: Army chief Mahesh Senanayake today has denied allegations that army colluded with anti-Muslim mobs and failed to stop spreading riots that killed one man in a backlash against the Easter terror attacks. Army chief Mahesh Senanayake said CCTV footage of troops allegedly signalling a mob to attack a home in the latest wave of rioting did not show his soldiers committing any wrongdoing.

He said "We looked at footage from three cameras and found that there was no conniving of troops with the rioters." He further added "If there was any, I would not hesitate to take action." He also said mobs included a lot of young men who were drunk. He added that soldiers had initially been outnumbered against hundreds of men armed with sticks and petrol bombs who attacked Muslim-owned businesses, homes and mosques.

North-Western Province has seen violence against Muslims and some 5,500 additional police have also been deployed in the province. Officials have told to lift night curfews on Thursday because there had been no reports of violence around the country in the past 24 hours.

Leave a Comment

Title : Army chief Mahesh Senanayake denies any wrongdoing by his men

 
You have 2000 characters left.